December 7, 2012

Garage Lust

Speaking of Hubby, and his time alone dans le townhouse, is it bad I hoped he'd act in lieu of the DIY fairies and knock out a few projects?  I wanted to have an HGTV-esque reveal and oooo and ahhhh over the lovely changes to our mangy laundry room that was all planned out but only half done when I left . . . 

In truth, he did do some puttering, most notably moving Charlie to winter storage and moving our car back into its cozy hole (Charlie lives in a storage facility when it's winter because we have a single garage and small drive, and I will happily pay any sum of money not to have to scrape frost off the windshield off in the morning, so Charlie gets the boot and I can handle winter with fewer meltdowns).  Although I'm appreciative he did the switcheroo, it had kind of a landslide effect.  With working on the basement, prettying it up, I had displaced some things into the garage.  It didn't matter then because Charlie, once parked in the garage in the spring, stays put.  Piling things up against the garage door or behind him wasn't an issue.  And then I flitted off to Europe with an email that said, "Deal with Charlie."

Even with the gorgeous storage unit Hubby built, there just isn't enough space!   Now with the garage in active use again, there is excess stuff and we need to reassess the lovely job we did making it tidier.


I don't where our bikes ended up (Hubby?) but I have a feeling lots of stuff ended up back in the basement after the car shuffle.  We both have some serious organizing to do in 2013, and back at work in the pit of despair.  We need to make the garage work for us a little better (and finish up some lose ends from the makeover).  So, once again, I find myself ogling people's garages.

On our list: bike storage!  Look how cleverly Carrie, from Dream Green DIY, hung hers.


I think we need more storage, period.  Specifically, we need to make more use of the vertical space, perhaps along the sides or above the garage door, if we can.

Better Homes and Gardens

Better Homes and Gardens

Montel

Family Handyman

Once our stuff is dealt with, I still want to make the garage prettier.  Frankly, in the cold weather months, I see this space more than some rooms in the townhouse.  I love the turquoise storage unit, but we never worked on making what went on it more organized, or coordinated.  And here is proof that garages can look mighty gorgeous.

Better Homes and Gardens

Via Pinterest, Source Unknown

Lastly, after I caught a piece of the garage door with the car and ripped it down (loooong story), new garage doors have been on my mind.

Gorgeous Garage Doors

10 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh you are too funny. We have a tiny garage also and no matter how much we organize and clean it is right back to a mess in 3 days time. Ours is so tiny our cars dont even fit. No biggie, we dont have snow ;)
    So the motorcycle lives there with my hubbys workbenches. But now you have inspired me i just love that red garage !!!! I see a whole new make over come spring :). Ps we have the bile hooks ansd love them. They are a must!!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's funny is our is from the 70s . . . didn't they have some big-ass boat cars back then??? Who was this garage FOR? We have a Versa that just fits.

      DO NOT tell my Hubby you have a motorcycle!! I should consider those hooks, though.

      Delete
  2. We just built a brand new shed outside (I say "we," I mean "Mike and his dad") and now have tons of room in the garage. Now that I can see it, it's grossing me out. I really want to get everything out of there and paint and clean and organize this spring. I've been looking at inspiration garages online too and some of them look like movie sets. Like really, who can live like that? (Not me, apparently.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, some look like rooms prettier than any in my house, lol. At the end of the day, dirty cars, failed DIY projects and spiders live out there. But, shoot for the moon and land among the stars, right? I figure insane inspiration might motivate me to reach a point somewhere between here and there. And man am I jealous you have a shed. I CANNOT wait to be free from the grip of my condo board.

      Delete
  3. Respect to those who can make garage such a beautiful place with brilliant skills of organization. Your garage ain't bad either. And the basement is a excellent job :) Can't recognize it's a basement at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks!! Wait until the new year when I FINALLY get the rest of the basement done. I can't wait, but it should look even prettier!

      Delete
  4. lol Tanya!
    Right, I mean 70's were boats. Maybe it was for the first yugo, remember those?
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! YES! They were adorable. I am thinking the first townhouse dwellers, back in 1976 when ours was built, must have been yugo drivers. Have you seen the ones jacked up with monster tires??? I want.

      Delete
  5. Lovely garages! We don't use our to park but it's not used for storage. It's my hub's domain- he has a full shop, organized but his style (translation: not pretty).

    These spaces & solutions are great- we need a large storage shed and then I would work some magic in there. Ahhh... to dream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ONE DAY (insert sigh), I'd like a separate DIY space/workshop AND a place to put my car AND sufficient storage. It is for this reason Hubby buys more and more lotto tickets each month, lol.

      It's nice your Hubby has his own space. I try to keep the house "ours" by making sure he my Hubs has own space too, and by keeping him involved in design decisions (hence the unpainted kitchen cupboards). Hublets needs to feel at home too!! :) Yours is lucky.

      Delete

You've made my day! I love hearing from you.
Unless you're a spammer. Spam commenters, you're out of luck: I approve each and every comment, so don't waste your time here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...